The ShoeBox Scan service is a high quality 300ppi feed scanning service designed for Bulk Loose Photos Only, that is, photos supplied loose in a box/bag (or more than one box/bag because of quantity). Photos in cardboard mounts, frames or albums need to be removed and supplied loose for this service. Or we are able to scan these for you with another service offering at a different rate.
We work on the assumption that all photos submitted are supplied be scanned. Unless we are given clear instructions to the contrary, all items supplied will be digitised at the appropriate rates required for us to be able to complete the project.
Photos supplied grouped into bags or bundles within the larger box/bag for organisational reasons will be scanned into separate matching folders on your USB & the physical photos returned to their groupings afterwards. The rate is $2.20 per folder/grouping. If you do not wish for this to happen, please supply your photos loose.
For our ShoeBox Scan service, we utilise highest quality feed-type photo scanners - Kodak PS80 & PS50 scanners. So the service is offered at such a low price, not because we use cheap scanners, but because we offer the service for qualifying photos only. Not all loose photos are suitable to safely feed into a scanner. To qualify for the ShoeBox Scan rate, your photos must meet the conditions below:
• minimum accepted size is at least 3 inches/75mm on at least one side. Some slightly larger than this may also not be acceptable if they will not feed safely through the scanner. Where photos fall below this size, you'll really need a higher resolution scan to get a sufficient sized finished image to enable zooming/cropping, or printing the photo. We scan undersized photos on our flat-bed scanners at 1200 ppi at the listed flat-bed scanning rate, or if you instruct us to set these aside, we can return them to you unscanned.
• maximum size accepted with this service is A4. Everything larger than A4 will be flatbed scanned @ 600 ppi at the listed flat-bed scanning rate, or if you instruct us to set these aside, we can return them to you unscanned.
• photos need to be in good, clean, flat & flexible condition, not curled, cracking, torn, crumbling, dirty or sticky. A good rule of thumb can be that most photos from the 60's or more recent will usually be suitable. Most photos from the 50's or older may be too small, too curled-yet-stiff, too tattered, torn, or have frilly edges that might make feed scanning unsafe for the photo. Anything we deem unsuitable will be flatbed scanned @ 600 ppi at the listed flat-bed scanning rate, or if you instruct us to set these aside, we can return them to you unscanned.
• photos should be clean and free of obstacles such as sticky tape, staples, paperclips, blu-tac, post-it notes, bits of backing paper extending past the photo's edge, etc.
Other unsuitable photo types include:
• newspaper print
• cut-to-a-shape photos
• some laminated photos
• some ink-jet printed photos (results may vary - we recommend flatbed scanning for ink-jet prints)
• some very high-gloss crinkle finish photos
• heavy card type paper (non flexible), or mounted photos of any type. You may wish to remove photos from mounts to avail of the low pricing of this service, otherwise these will be set aside as unsuitable.
If you have any photos that you determine are unsuitable, you can still include them. We’d love it if you could group these separately and label them “unsuitable”, and we’ll flat-bed scan them for you.
Even if you don't know what might be in your box there's still no need to worry. At the time of ordering you can let us know your preference, either to have us flat-bed scan, or leave unscanned, any unsuitables we might come across.
It is also important to note that with this service, due to software limitations with the very high quality Kodak system we utilise, we cannot scan photos strictly in order. Once again, if scanning in strict order is important to you, we do offer other services that allow this.