The ShoeBox Scan service is designed for Bulk Loose Photos Only, that is, photos supplied loose in a box/tub/bag (or more than one box/tub/bag because of quantity). Photos in cardboard mounts, frames or albums need to be removed and supplied loose for this service. Or we may be able to scan these for you with another service offering at a different rate.
Photos supplied grouped into bags or bundles within the larger box/tub/bag for organisational reasons will be scanned into separate matching folders on your USB & the physical photos returned to their groupings afterwards. The rate is $2.20 per folder/grouping. If you do not wish for this to happen, please supply your photos loose.
For our ShoeBox Scan service, we utilise highest quality feed-type photo scanners - Kodak PS80 & PS50 scanners. So the service is offered at such a low price, not because we use cheap scanners, but because we offer the service for qualifying photos only. Not all loose photos are suitable to safely feed into a scanner. To qualify for the ShoeBox Scan rate, your photos must meet the conditions below:
• minimum accepted size is at least 2 inches/50mm on each side. Some slightly larger than this may also not be acceptable if they will not feed safely through the scanner. Where photos fall below this size, you'll really need a higher resolution scan to get a sufficient sized finished image to enable zooming/cropping, or printing the photo. We scan undersized photos on our flat-bed scanners at 1200 ppi or, if you prefer, we can set aside undersized photos and return those to you unscanned.
• maximum size accepted is A4. Anything large than A4 can be flatbed scanned @ 600 ppi, or, if you prefer, we can set aside oversized photos and return those to you unscanned.
• photos need to be in good, clean, flat & flexible condition, not curled, cracking, torn, crumbling, dirty or sticky. A good rule of thumb can be that most photos from the 60's or more recent will usually be suitable. Most photos from the 50's or older may be too small, too curled-yet-stiff, too tattered, torn, or have frilly edges that might make feed scanning unsafe for the photo. Anything we deem unsuitable can be flatbed scanned @ 600 ppi, or, if you prefer, we can set aside unsuitable photos and return those to you unscanned.
• they should be free of sticky tape, staples, paperclips, blu-tac, post-it notes etc.
Other “unsuitable” photo types include:
• newspaper print
• odd shaped cut-out photos
• some laminated photos
• some ink-jet printed photos (results may vary - we recommend flatbed scanning for ink-jet prints)
• some very high-gloss crinkle finish photos
• some cheap low-quality print papers
If you have any photos that you suspect are unsuitable, you can still include them. We’d love it if you could group these separately and label them “unsuitable”, and we’ll flat-bed scan them for you.
Even if you don't know what might be in your box there's still no need to worry. At the time of ordering you can simply instruct us with your choice to have us either flat-bed scan, or leave unscanned, any unsuitables we might come across.
It is also important to note that with this service, due to the processes we have developed to keep the prices so low for such a high quality scan, we cannot scan photos strictly in order.